Last-minute efforts are being undertaken to save the Manny Pacquiao-Floyd Mayweather super fight from getting shelved.
After days and weeks of criticizing each other for not doing enough to make the fight, the camp of Pacquiao has opted to remain silent apparently after receiving an order from somebody who has a lot of stake in the proposed fight.
Mike Koncz, the Canadian adviser of Pacquiao, said yesterday from Miami that they “have been told not to talk about it,” which is a complete turn-around from their belligerent stance the last few days.
Asked whether it could be taken as a good sign, Koncz answered in the affirmative but made it clear that a May 30 showdown with British hope Amir Khan is on the deck in case the Mayweather fight doesn’t get done.
“We have Plan B on standby,” said Koncz, who will accompany Pacquiao in his remaining days in the US before they return to Manila on Feb. 7.
Koncz, together with Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, has been very vocal against Mayweather the last week or so, saying that it is the 37-year-old US fighter who is to blame.
But yesterday, Koncz was reluctant to spew more fire as it could endanger the negotiations taking place behind closed doors.
Showtime Sports big boss Stephen Espinoza acknowledged that both camps are working so the fight can finally happen for May 2 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Pacquiao is aligned with Showtime’s chief rival, HBO, and the eight-division champion remains hopeful that a deal can be reached by the end of the week, saying it is the only fight that matters at the moment to sports fans.
Mayweather fought twice last year, beating Argentine strongman Marcos Maidana on points on both occasions, while Pacquiao exacted payback against Tim Bradley in Las Vegas and beat up Chris Algieri in Macau.