It’s a done deal, says Manny Pacquiao.
Speaking to GMA 7, Pacquiao said he is just awaiting the contract to be signed by Floyd Mayweather before the unbeaten US fighter makes a formal announcement of their May 2 showdown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
“Oo, positive na,” Pacquiao said when told if the welterweight super fight would proceed as planned.
Pacquiao said Mayweather’s signauture is the only thing that is preventing the fight from being made official.
“Pirma na lang (ni Mayweather),” said the 36-year-old Filipino star, who easily beat up Chris Algieri in his last outing in Macau late last year.
As of yesterday afternoon, there was still no announcement from the 37-year-old Mayweather, who usually posts breaking news about his fights on his social media.
An announcement is said to be imminent based on posts by noted fight scribes on their respective social media accounts the last couple of days.
Even Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum, who was about to throw in the towel, told a Filipino reporter about a major development a couple of days ago that prompted him to remain hopeful and very optimistic.
Still, without Mayweather’s confirmation, not even Pacquiao’s upbeat mood and startling statements don’t mean a thing.
Being the acknowledged A-side fighter, everything will come from Mayweather.
Remember, the A-side has the signature song in a record label.
Last month, the two fighters met during a NBA game in Miami and discussed making a fight happen, a match that is expected to surpass all existing box-office and attendance records.