LAS VEGAS – Manny Pacquiao wants to give back to the people, especially those in the Philippines who could not afford to see him fight overseas that Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum is laying the groundwork for his swan song there in 2016.
“Manny told me that he’d like that his last fight be held in the Philippines and that we’d not charge for tickets,” Arum told Manila-based scribes on Wednesday.
Of course, a lot depends on the result of Pacquiao’s meeting with Floyd Mayweather this Saturday at the MGM Grand as a victory will make it even easier for such a huge undertaking to happen.
Arum said a win over Mayweather doesn’t guarantee that a rematch will be staged but foremost in their mind is “to travel to the Philippines next week and hold the biggest ever victory parade in Metro Manila.”
“We might even talk about what’s next in line while we are in the beaches of Boracay,” said the 83-year-old Arum.
Pacquiao, 36, is under contract with Top Rank until the end of 2016 and Arum points out there are available options in the event Mayweather and Pacquiao decide not to do it again.
Also a possibility down the road is for Pacquiao to headline the opening of the 20,000-seat arena here set for completion next year and ready to hold shows by April 2016, Arum said.
Known as the MGM-AEG Arena, construction of the $375-million venue, began a year ago.
The last time Pacquiao fought in the Philippines was in July 2006 against Oscar Larios of Mexico.
Since then, Pacquiao has brought his act to the US and Macau, where only those with means can afford to travel and see him fight live.