DAVAO CITY– Davao Mayor Rodrigo Duterte has rejected fresh attempts to convince him to run for the presidency by substitution.
“Pang-original ako. Bakit mo ako ilagay na substitution?” Duterte told reporters Monday at the Grand Men Seng Hotel.
PDP-Laban had earlier raised the possibility of Duterte substituting its standard bearer Martin Diño before the December 10 deadline.
Diño, a PDP-Laban member, filed his certificate of candidacy (CoC) for president during the final hours of filing last October 16.
Duterte has been consistent in his stand against joining the presidential race despite the widespread clamor. He filed his CoC for Davao mayor last Oct. 15.
He said six years of presidency is not enough as one cannot institute reforms and solve the problems of the country for such a short time.
“Kung sundin ko yan para lang akong buang. Paglalaruan lang ako ng mga tao sa gobyerno,” he said.
Duterte also told reporters about the health condition of his wife Elizabeth, saying: “Takot ako. Ang asawa ko kasi is ailing. Ayaw ko na lang sabihin. Magtanong na lang kayo sa kanila.”