Home » News » News Roundup » New Roundup » World News » Conde’s re-election confirmed

Conde’s re-election confirmed

CONAKRY (AFP) – Guinea’s Constitutional Court on Saturday formally confirmed President Alpha Conde’s landslide re-election victory, dismissing opposition claims of vote rigging and fraud in the contested October 11 polls.

Reading the final results, court president Kelefa Sall said Conde took 57.84 percent of the vote in the first round, or 2,284,827 of ballots counted, in line with the results announced earlier this month by the Independent National Electoral Commission (CENI). Conde is therefore ‘’declared president of the republic with a mandate that runs from December 21, 2015 to December 21, 2020,’’ Sall said in a public address in the capital Conakry. Appeals lodged by three of the seven candidates who ran against Conde that had called for the vote to be annulled were rejected by the court, with Sall saying their complaints either lacked proof or had no bearing on the results.