Home » News » Headlines » Only 3 top Reds allowed for talks in Norway

Only 3 top Reds allowed for talks in Norway

Only three ranking members of the National Democratic Front, so far, have been allowed by the Supreme Court to attend the peace talks in Oslo, Norway this month.

The SC, however, denied the plea of the Office of the Solicitor General to allow the participation of 11 other NDF members as it ruled that the issue should be pleaded before the regional trial courts where their criminal cases are pending.

Allowed to travel to Norway were former party-list Rep. Satur Ocampo, Randall B. Echanis, and Vicente P. Ladlad.

In a resolution released yesterday, the SC said: “Wherefore, the provisional liberty of Saturnino C. Ocampo, Randall B. Echanis, and Vicente P. Ladlad under their respective cash bonds is hereby confirmed. They are reminded to faithfully comply with the conditions of their cash bonds.”

Denied were the “temporary and conditional” release from detention of Tirso Alcantara, Alex Birondo, Winona Birondo, Maria Conception Bocala, Reynante Gamara, Alan Jazmines, Maria Loida Magpatoc, Adelberto Silva, Benito Tiamzon, and Wilma Tiamzon.

The SC ruled the issue on their temporary release should be taken up in proper pleadings before the trial court where their cases are pending.

In the case of Rafael Baylosis, the SC said that since he jumped bail, his cash bond of P100,000 posted on February 1, 2012 is forfeited.

“His (Baylosis’) cash bond can be reinstated only upon a justifiable cause as may be determined by the regional trial court of Manila, Branch 32, after his arrest or surrender. Any request for his provisional liberty shall only be placed under consideration after this threshold condition has been satisfied,” the SC said in a resolution.
(Rey G. Panaligan)

comments