HUA HIN, Thailand – Thai authorities yesterday hunted for culprits behind a wave of bombings targeting popular holiday destinations, as businesses braced for the economic fallout from the attacks on the crucial tourism industry.
The kingdom was on edge after 11 small bombs exploded across five southern provinces Thursday night and Friday morning, killing four locals and wounding more than 30 people – including foreign tourists.
The bombs, most of them detonated in twin blasts, struck key tourism hubs during a long weekend, including the seaside resort town of Hua Hin and the island of Phuket.
No one has claimed responsibility for the coordinated attack, but police have ruled out international terrorism and said the campaign was an act of “local sabotage.’’
“We are confident this was work of a network with a mastermind,’’ said deputy police commissioner Ponsapat Pongcharoen, adding that no arrests had been made.
“It’s still unclear what the motive is,’’ he said, stressing it was not connected to a simmering insurgency in Thailand’s south, as analysts have suggested.
If the Muslim rebels are to blame, it would mark a major expansion of a secessionist campaign that rarely targets foreigners.
It would also be a huge embarrassment to Thailand’s coup-installed military government, which has made boosting national security a flagship policy of its regime.
In hardest-hit Hua Hin, a popular beach resort rocked by four bombs in 24 hours, locals said they were fearful the town’s mainstay industry would suffer just ahead of peak tourist season. (AFP)