Home » Headlines » 4 Pasay cops relieved

4 Pasay cops relieved

Autopsy shows pedicab driver shot 14 times

The pedicab driver killed by Pasay policemen Tuesday sustained 14 gunshot wounds in different parts of the body, an “overkill” that led to the relief of three cops and their precinct commander.

Senior Supt. Noli Bathan, Pasay chief of police, yesterday ordered the relief of PO1 Benigno Baladjay, PO1 Melford Olorosisimo, and PO1 Jan Erwin Isaac together with Chief Inspector Oscar Pagulayan, commander of the Buendia Police Community Precinct (PCP) 2.

The three cops, who took part in the operation, were disarmed and brought to the District Admin Holding Center while investigation got under way.

Chief Inspector Rolando Baula, of the Pasay City Station Investigation and Detective Management Branch, confirmed police autopsy report showing the multiple wounds suffered by 22-year-old pedicab driver Eric Sison.

Benchard Tuazon, who witnessed the shooting, said Sison was shot like an animal.

“Halos parang hayop kung paano nila binaril si Kuya Eric kasi kung paputukan nila akala mo ‘yung baril na hawak nila halos maubos ’yung isang magasin,” said Tuazon, cousin of Sison’s live-in partner Rachel.

Recalling the fateful event, Tuazon said he was roused from sleep by gunshots and footsteps above their neighbor’s roof.

“May sumigaw na: ‘Hindi ka ba bababa dyan? Papaputukan kita.’ Doon po namin narinig na may dalawang sunod na putok pa. Tapos may kumalabog sa bubong namin. Hindi naming akalain na siya na pala (Sison) ‘yon dahil nahulog siya,” Tuazon narrated.

Tuazon’s narrative supported the police version of the incident wherein it reported that Sison ended up in Tuazon’s residence.

“Hindi agad namin siya naki-lala dahil nakapatay ‘yong ilaw kasi natutulog na kami. Pagbukas namin ng ilaw, sabi ni mama: ‘O anong nangyari sayo?’ Tapos biglang may mga taong nangalampag sa pinto,” Tuazon said.

Tuazon said two policemen, identified later as Olorosisimo and Isaac, went just a few meters inside their doorstep, calling for Sison to surrender.

After he and his mother Rosalie rushed outside their home, Tuazon said he heard a series of gunfire drowning Sison’s plea: “Ito na po, ito na po, susuko na ako!”

Sison’s plea and the gunshots were caught on video, a copy of which was obtained by the Manila Bulletin.

According to the police, four cops were on patrol when they came across Sison and an unidentified companion.

A female cop, whose name was not provided, remained on the police car while three of her colleagues gave chase.

The police report said Sison, while fleeing, fired a shot at the pursuing lawmen before being cornered at the house of their neighbor. (MARTIN SADONGDONG)