- News in Photo
The government is not ruling out the possibility of another terror attack in the country similar to the explosion in Davao City.
Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea said they have obtained intelligence reports about threats of potential violence in Mindanao, admitting that such information prompted President Duterte to deploy more troops on the streets to ensure public safety.
“We cannot discount the possibility na puwedeng gawin ulit and we have reports na baka ulitin,” Medialdea said in a radio interview.
Medialdea, currently government caretaker while Duterte is traveling abroad, admitted that it was “difficult to say” if the worst is over after the Davao incident.
“Hindi natin alam ang mga taong, as of now ano, hindi natin alam ano itong mga kapasidad nitong tao na ito, uulitin, nangungutya lang pero ito buhay na po ito,” he said.
Meanwhile, police have identified the man who left the bomb that killed 15 persons in a night market in Davao City Friday last week.
Director General Ronald M. dela Rosa, chief of the Philippine National Police, said the suspect was identified by several witnesses based on photos presented to them during the course of the investigation.
Police have released an artist sketch and computer image of the suspect based on the description of the massage therapists who survived the explosion.
“We already know his true identity, we also now where he is hiding so the manhunt is ongoing,” said Dela Rosa.
Background check conducted by investigators and intelligence agents, according to Dela Rosa, revealed that the suspect was also involved in some bombing incidents in the past and has links with a terror group based in Central Mindanao.
He said the background check on the suspect fits the earlier declaration of bomb experts that the improvised explosive device used in the blast was similar to the bombs taught by slain international terrorist Zulkifli Bin Hir, alias “Marwan,” who was killed by police commandos in Mamasapano, Maguindanao last year.
The IED used a mortar and cellular phone as a detonating device. (Genalyn D. Kabiling and Aaron B. Recuenco)