- News in Photo
LAS VEGAS – Floyd Mayweather showed up at ringside for the Manny Pacquiao vs Jessie Vargas world welterweight title fight on Saturday night, fueling speculations that a rematch is being cooked up for 2017.
Mayweather arrived with his daughter during the tailend of a world title fight that preceded the main event and was immediately accorded VIP treatment.
The unbeaten American, who has a 49-0 record, had beaten Pacquiao on points last year in the richest fight in history.
But his win was shrouded in doubt as Pacquiao would later claim that he entered the ring not in 100 percent shape owing to a right shoulder injury that was operated on immediately after the match that generated $600 million in revenue.
Ringside reporters tried to ask him why he turned up but he smiled at them as he sat beside his daughter in the entirety of the fight that Pacquiao handily won.
Shortly after the decision was announced, Mayweather left the venue with burly bodyguards escorting him.
Promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank later told the media that Mayweather, who used to be his fighter, called up his stepson Todd Duboef to ask to be given seats.
“He called and was very nice and he wanted to come to the fight. We got him a credential and a great seat. He just didn’t show and barged in he called and asked if he could come.”
But Arum refuses to entertain questions about the issue surrounding Mayweather’s decision to watch Pacquiao fight, stressing that “he’s retired.”
“Floyd is retired. Period. He is jerking somebody’s chain,” added Arum.
Pacquiao said it was Mayweather, who turns 40 in February next year, who called him and asked for seats at the Thomas and Mack Center.