LOS ANGELES – A proposed rematch starring Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather is not yet cast in stone despite the attendance of the unbeaten American fighter during the Filipino legend’s victory over Jessie Vargas in Las Vegas.
“That’s not gonna make it easier, that’s not gonna make it harder either,” said Pacquiao’s Canadian adviser Mike Koncz on Monday night (Tuesday afternoon in the Philippines).
Mayweather’s presence was the topic of conversation during and after the fight held at the Thomas and Mack Center, fueling speculations that a deal is already in place for a rematch set for the middle of 2017.
“We appreciate that Floyd took the time out of his schedule to come. But that was arranged by Manny and I. Floyd had called us, not Floyd personally. Manny wouldn’t do it either.”
Koncz said Pacquiao and Mayweather have actually texted each other since their fight in May last year.
“So the question that you ask me is the fact that he was in the fight doesn’t make it easier. I’m not gonna say it makes it easier because we never had a bad relationship.”
Since Mayweather is already retired, Pacquiao will have to look elsewhere for an opponent when he makes a return to the ring next year when the Senate is in recess.
Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum of Top Rank has identified a few names as Pacquiao’s possible foes since Mayweather has to come out of retirement to be considered.
Pacquiao is not ruling out a second meeting with Mayweather, though.
“If the fans want it, why not?” Pacquiao told a group of writers in his suite at the Wynn the day after outpointing Vargas.
Mayweather even acknowledged Pacquiao after the fight as they did eye contact and exchanged telling gestures like a nod from Pacquiao and supposedly a thumbs-up signs made by Mayweather.
Arum told TMZ Sports that the likelihood of a rematch happening is about 75 percent.