Home » Headlines » RWM resumes business

RWM resumes business

By: Martin A. Sadongdong

After a deadly attack last June 2 that claimed 38 lives, the Resorts World Manila resumed yesterday its gaming operations as the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) lifted the suspension order on the company’s provisional license to operate casinos and other gaming facilities.

In an emailed statement, Kingson Sian, RWM president and CEO, said PAGCOR’s decision to lift the June 9 suspension came after it presented its “Casino Security Protective Action Plans” to the regulatory body.

“RWM passed the PAGCOR inspection that recognized how the enhancements and new emergency, safety and security protocols have been fortified since the June 2, 2017 incident,” Sian said.

“With PAGCOR’s assistance and guidance, we can now start the difficult task of rebuilding as it is also our responsibility to take care of our 6,000 staff and personnel,” he added.

Sian said that they brought back the gaming operations on the ground and third floors of the integrated resort.
However, the second floor, where the grim attack perpetrated by Jessie Carlos started, “will no longer be used for casino operations and will be utilized for other non-gaming purposes instead.”

It can be recalled that the RWM engaged the services of an international security outfit, Blackpanda, earlier this month to tighten the external and internal security protocols.

Sian noted that RWM “remains committed to putting in place the best security and safety measures available and will constantly review for upgrades as new technology and developments require.”

The RWM incident happened in the wee hours of June 2 where Carlos, a former employee at Department of Finance and a heavily indebted man, forced his way into the establishment, set on fire the second and third floors of the building, stole P113.1 million casino chips, and lit Room 510 of Maxims Hotel where he also shot himself.

comments