Home » Headlines » 2 suspects held in radioman’s slay; gunman hunted

2 suspects held in radioman’s slay; gunman hunted


Two suspects in the killing of a radio broadcaster in Dumaguete City last Thursday were apprehended by the police but the triggerman, allegedly an active cop, remains on the loose, authorities announced yesterday.

Retired Police Corporal Glenn Corsame, of Barangay Banilad, Dumaguete City; and Teddy Reyes Salaw, 44, a former police asset, of Barangay Batinguel, Dumaguete City, were nabbed by the police Thursday night, hours after the killing of 67-year-old Dindo Generoso, a radio block timer of 96.7 dyEm FM station.

Police Col. Julian Entoma, chief of the Negros Oriental Provincial Police Office, identified the suspected triggerman as Police Corporal Roger Rubio, allegedly a member of the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company.

Entoma said Corsame was the driver of the motorcycle used by Rubio to escape while Salaw acted as a spotter for the gunman.

The two suspects were arrested in Dumaguete City by the tracker teams of the Negros Oriental police and Dumaguete City police with the help of the Highway Patrol Group.

“Our tracker teams were quick to act because of the closed circuit television footages that identified them, their pick up and escape routes and other details,” Entoma said.

Police said that the tracker teams first found Salaw sitting on his parked motorcycle and holding his cellphone in Barangay Batinguel.

As authorities were approaching him, Salaw tried to draw his gun but was immediately subdued, police said. Police seized his firearm and phone.

Probers found out that Salaw was then exchanging text messages with Corsame about the killing.

Corsame was later traced and arrested. He yielded a helmet which matched the one worn by one of the suspects as seen on a CCTV footage.

Based on the CCTV footage, Rubio initially rode a Strada pick-up truck driven by Salaw. He later transferred to a motorcycle driven by Corsame and tailed Generoso’s vehicle, Entoma said.

Corsame blocked the victim’s car, then Rubio allegedly shot the broadcaster several times and fled. Generoso succumbed to nine bullet wounds.

Entoma said police recovered a .45 caliber pistol with eight rounds of bullets from Salaw during his arrest, but the pick-up truck which he borrowed from his brother-in-law was not found.

He said they will also look for Salaw’s brother-in-law to determine if he has participation or knowledge about the crime, adding that he can also be considered as “person of interest.”

Entoma said they are still investigating how the two arrested suspects established links with Rubio.

He said Corsame retired from the police service last January and was last assigned to the the 1st Provincial Mobile Group with a clear record.

On the other hand, Rubio, who is from Guihulngan City, Negros Oriental, is currently assigned to the 2nd Provincial Mobile Force Company. He also had a clear record until he was tagged in the killing of Generoso.

Entoma said Rubio did not report for duty last Thursday and can no longer be found or reached by his officers through phone calls. He said they cannot yet establish if these suspects were guns-for-hire or hitmen.

“We’re still trying to check if the victim also made commentaries against Rubio or some police officers which offended some of them and triggered the commission of the crime,” the Negros Oriental provincial police director said, adding that Generoso was known for his hard-hitting commentaries.

He said the victim’s family has no idea about the identities of the persons who threatened the broadcaster.

The victim had been in the radio industry since 2016 when he came home after working abroad, and he has no record in illegal activities, Entoma said.

Although Generoso ran for the mayor in 2016 and was declared a nuisance candidate, Entoma said they are discounting politics behind his death because he even served as an extension of the Public Information Office of the city government of Dumaguete through his radio program.

Police Brig. Gen. Valeriano de Leon, Central Visayas police director, said the investigation is “almost complete” with the arrest of Salaw and Corsame. “We will keep you posted on more developments because as of now, the case is not yet solved,” he added.

“But rest assured, especially the family and relatives of the victim, your police will help you bring all the suspects involved in this dastardly act to justice. My strict order to our men on the ground is to leave no stone unturned and make it quick,” De Leon said.

Police Lt. Gen. Archie Gamboa, officer-in-charge of the Philippine National Police, commended the Central Visayas police for its swift action which resulted in the arrest of the two suspects.

Generoso was on his way to work onboard his Hyundai Elantra car when he was killed in Barangay Piapi.