- News in Photo
THE unfortunate story of the kidnapping of four people from a Samal island resort in 2015 – two Canadians, a Norwegian, and a Filipina – continues with no end in sight.
EVEN before he takes his oath as president of the Philippines on June 30, Rodrigo Duterte faces a critical test and challenge to his leadership on June 13. This is the deadline set by the Abu Sayyaf for the payment of ransom for kidnap victims they had seized eight months ago from a Samal island resort near Davao City.Continue reading …
A WEEK after the beheading of a Canadian kidnap victim by the Abu Sayyaf in Mindanao for alleged failure to pay ransom, the Abu Sayyaf was in the news again. It released 10 Indonesian seamen it had seized aboard a tugboat off Sabah last March 26. The Jolo police director said he did not know if ransom had been paid for the Indonesians, but said the Abu Sayyaf had earlier demanded P50 million for the sailors.Continue reading …