TOP PICKS – As always, Highspeed’s beauty expert Jay P. Delgado names the top picks in the ongoing Miss Earth beauty pageant. Accompanying photos by Joy Arguil.
ON Saturday, Oct. 29, at the Mall of Asia Arena, 84 of the Earth’s most beautiful and environment-savvy ladies will vie for the coveted Miss Earth crown currently held by Angelia Ong of the Philippines.
The delegates’ hectic schedule prevented individual members of media from covering all the events especially since the girls were divided into three groups with competitions happening at the same time in different parts of the country.
This Highspeeder was lucky enough to catch the press presentation at Diamond Hotel, meet-and-greet at Oakwood Joy-Nostalg Center and Crystal Jade Dining In, and swimsuit, evening gown and talent events at Versailles Palace, a posh Mediterranean-themed subdivision across Ayala Alabang in Las Piñas City.
Here are Highspeed’s top eight picks:
• PHILIPPINES – Imelda Bautista Schweighart, 21, a student from Puerto Princesa, Palawan, aiming to be the 4th Filipina Miss Earth champion after Karla Henry (2008), Jamie Herrell (2014) and Angelia Ong (2015);
• ECUADOR – Katherine Elizabeth Espin Gomez, 23, a model and cosmetologist from Quito who aspires to win Ecuador’s 2nd Miss Earth title after Olga Alava (2011);
• VENEZUELA – Stephanie Ysabel de Zorzi Landaeta, 23, a model from Aragua, who is gunning for her country’s 3rd title after Alexandra Braun (2005) and Alyz Henrich (2013);
• AUSTRALIA – Lyndl Kean, 26, a model from Woronora (near Sydney) who is aiming to be the first winner from Down Under after a strong 1st runner-up finish last year by Dayana Grageda from Sydney.
• BRAZIL – Bruna Custodio Zanardo, 24, a model from Sao Paulo aiming for her country’s third title after Priscilla Meirelles-Estrada (2004) and Larissa Ramos (2009);
• RUSSIA – Aleksandra Cherepanova, 19, a student from Vladivostok, gunning for Russia’s first Miss Earth title.
Curiously, Aleksandra is a dead-ringer for Kapamilya actress Liza Soberano;
• USA – Corrin Julia Stellakis, 19, a Communications and Social Interaction student from Bridgeport, Connecticut who is raring to be America’s first Miss Earth; and
• SWEDEN – Cloie Syquia Skarne, 22, a Global Management student from Djursholm, Sweden. Cloie, of course, is Gabby Concepcion’s daughter with Jenny Syquia (now Mrs. Filip Skarne).