It doesn’t seem like the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) is going to abide by a ruling issued by a Pasig court to hold an election for the position of president and chairman next month with no less than POC president Jose ‘Peping’ Cojuangco making the assurance.
The move should put the brakes on the major advance of boxing chief Ricky Vargas, who was disqualified by a screening committee formed by the POC in the runup to the November 2016 elections.
Since Vargas was deemed ineligible to run owing to a technicality, Cojuangco earned another four-year term – his fourth – by acclamation.
“Our constitution and by-laws have been approved by the International Olympic Committee (IOC),” said Cojuangco when told about the plans of Vargas’ lawyers to determine if the POC is planning to address the issue.
Last month, Pasig judge Maria Gracia Casaclang ruled that the election of Cojuangco was null and void and a new election should be held on Feb. 23.
“What would that make of us if we follow that (court ruling)?” said Cojuangco, stressing that the IOC’s recognition of the POC’s guidelines is proof that he is standing on solid ground.