By Jel Santos
A total of 7, 091 students recently started working at the local government of Makati City under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES) and Government Internship Program (GIP).
According to Mayor Abigail Binay, the beneficiaries of SPES and GIP, who are from low-income families, will be working with pay in various offices of the city government.
“The city government of Makati fully supports these joint initiatives with agencies of the national government because they provide beneficiaries the dual advantage of actual work experience with the government and earning an income,”she said.
Based on the records of the city Public Employment Service Office (PESO), there are 4,638 successful registrants in GIP and 2,381 in SPES this year.
Binay said each SPES beneficiary will earn a total of R15,360 upon completing the required 30 days of work. On the other hand, a GIP beneficiary will receive R9,600 for 25 days of work.
Makati PESO said SPES beneficiaries have already started to report for work in their respective places of assignment last April 16, and will work there until May 29. For GIP beneficiaries, work period will be from April 23 until May 29.
Under SPES, the city provides 60 percent of each beneficiary’s salary based on the daily minimum wage, or P317.20, and the remaining 40 percent, or P204.80, is provided by Department of Labor.
GIP beneficiaries are entitled to receive 75 percent of the daily minimum wage, or P384.
Pre-qualified applicants based on the screening of documentary requirements they submitted were also subjected to a drug test last April 12 for District I residents, and last April 13 for those from District II.