GENERAL SANTOS (AFP) – Philippine boxing hero Manny Pacquiao hinted he has several more fights left in him after his American promoter said he will likely retire next year.
Pacquiao played down remarks by promoter Bob Arum that he would fight just once more in 2016 before hanging up his gloves to run for Senate.
“I know better what is happening to my body,” Pacquiao defiantly said late Saturday, reacting to Arum’s statement. “Just leave it alone. Better not to react to that,” he told reporters.
Arum was quoted on Thursday as saying that the 36-year-old Pacquiao wants to get on with his political career and run for the Senate in the Philippines.
“I believe he’ll take one more fight, then run for the Senate in the Philippines,” Arum said.
Pacquiao, who has won eight world championships in different weight divisions, has previously parlayed his boxing fame into a career in showbiz and election as a congressman.
However he lost a unanimous decision to American Floyd Mayweather Jr. in Las Vegas four months ago in a fight that Pacquiao fought with a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder.