BACOLOD CITY – It’s time to settle the issue once and for all.
Donnie Nietes, the Mexican executioner, wants to take the scalp of WBA/WBO flyweight champion Juan Francisco Estrada, the scourge of Filipino fighters.
Fresh from retaining the World Boxing Organization (WBO) light-flyweight crown for the ninth time late Saturday night, Nietes made it clear that he would rather shoot for a third world title than make the tenth defense of the 108-lb title on Sept. 24 in Carson, California.
Michal Aldeguer, Nietes’ promoter, has booked that date for his return to the US and he hoping that it’s going to be Estrada on the opposite corner and not a fellow he had already soundly beaten.
“I want Estrada instead of (Moises) Fuentes,” said Nietes, moments after forcing Raul Garcia of Mexico to quit on his stool at the end of the fifth round at the St. La Salle Coliseum.
Aldeguer said that Fuentes has positioned himself once again as mandatory to Nietes’ title but is nonetheless working hard to stage a showdown between Nietes and Estrada, the reigning WBO and World Boxing Association flyweight king.
Aldeguer bared that there is a chance that Nietes night end up battling Estrada provided that a major US network steps in.
Nietes is drooling over a duel with Estrada, who has beaten all six Filipinos that he faced, including Brian Viloria and Nietes’ gutsy stablemate Milan Melindo.
Like Estrada, who sports a 33-2 mark with 24 KOs, Nietes is likewise seen as Public Enemy No. 1 in Mexico owing to his mastery of Estrada’s compatriots.
In racking up a 38-1-4 record with 22 KOs following Garcia’s clinical demolition, Nietes has claimed 15 Mexican victims.
Aldeguer believes it is high time that Nietes gets the big break because “he’s not getting any younger (34 years old).”
But if the Estrada fight doesn’t materialize, the chances of it taking place will be higher next year.
In the meantime, Nietes will have to deal with Fuentes for the third time in September when Aldeguer puts up his third show on American soil. A major card is on deck for July 9 featuring Prince Albert Pagara in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Nietes halted Fuentes two years ago in Manila after battling to a draw in 2013 in Cebu.