Home » News » Headlines » Mobile phone sparks fire

Mobile phone sparks fire

4fire copy

A mobile phone left unattended while being charged may have sparked a fire that left 200 families homeless Thursday in Caloocan City.

Investigators said the phone placed on the bed could have overheated and started the fire at around 2:55 p.m. in a slum area Barangay 2.

Fire Officer 3 Rondel Angeles said the fire reached third alarm at 3 p.m. and injured three persons, namely: Norma Carne, Daniel Regio and Ray Guerrero.

Because the houses were made of light materials, the fire quickly spread.

“Mabilis ang pagkalat ng apoy kasi lapit-lapit ang mga bahay. Isang bagay din po na nagpalakas ng apoy ay ang malakas na hangin,” Angeles said.

He also said that they had a hard time entering the area because of the narrow streets, saying that they had to destroy a wall in order for them to access the area.

Angeles also decried that some people took advantage of the fire and stole properties of the victims.

“May mga nagsamantala pa nga po sa kalagayan ng mga biktima. Nasunugan na nga ang mga tao, ninakawan pa nila,” he said.

Angeles said that it took 22 fire trucks from Caloocan, Malabon, Navotas, and Valenzuela, to put off the fire at around 6:58 p.m.

The victims are temporarily housed in a school, according to Angeles. (JEL SANTOS)