Home » Sports » Basketball » NBA » NBA: Charlotte no longer All-Star host

NBA: Charlotte no longer All-Star host

NEW YORK (AFP) – A North Carolina law limiting the state’s anti-discrimination protections has prompted the NBA to move next year’s NBA All-Star Game from Charlotte, league commissioner Adam Silver said Thursday.

Silver had warned last month at the NBA Finals and again earlier this month that the law, which has caused an uproar in the gay and transgender community, could prompt such a move.

Among the problems the NBA and other critics have with House Bill 2 (HB2) is that it mandates transgender people use public restrooms corresponding to the sex listed on their birth certificates and omits gay and transgender people from discrimination protection.

‘’While we recognize that the NBA cannot choose the law in every city, state, and country in which we do business, we do not believe we can successfully host our All-Star festivities in Charlotte in the climate created by HB2,’’ Silver said in a statement.

“The NBA will make an announcement on the new location of the 2017 NBA All-Star Game in the coming weeks.’’

comments