The Supreme Court (SC) failed to resolve yesterday the legal issues raised in seven petitions against the decision of President Duterte to bury the late former President Ferdinand E. Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB) in Taguig City.
But the SC, during its full court session, decided to extend until November 8 the status quo ante order (SQAO) it issued on August 23 against the LNMB burial of Marcos. The first SQAO expired on September 13 and was extended until October 18.
Sources said the justice to whom the consolidated cases were assigned by raffle failed to submit his draft decision days before yesterday’s session. Thus, several justices pleaded for more time to study the draft.
The same sources said one justice had earlier submitted his opinion on the legal issues involved in several petitions. He reportedly favored Marcos’ burial at the LNMB.
After yesterday’s session, the SC will go on its All Saints’ Day recess and will resume November 7 for the division sessions and November 8 for the full court.
Marcos loyalists gathered infront of the SC building on Padre Faura St. in Manila early yesterday morning even before the justices started their session.
Later, they were joined by two Marcos’ children – former Sen. Ferdinand “Bongbong” and Ilocos Norte Governor Imee.
Former senator Marcos said “we were hoping the SC decision would come out today.”
“In my opinion, the longer it takes for the justices to resolve the issue, the clearer it becomes that my father is entitled to the LNMB burial based on the applicable law,” he said.
He pointed out that “we and our friends have waited for 23 years and we would not mind waiting for several days more.”
Seven petitions have been filed against the Marcos burial at the LNMB.
These were those lodged by the groups of Saturnino Ocampo, Rep. Edcel Lagman, Loreta Ann Rosales, Heherson Alvarez, Zaira Patrician Baniaga and Algamar Latiph, and Sen. Leila de Lima. (Rey Panaligan)