- News in Photo
The Supreme Court (SC) did not act yesterday on two motions that pleaded for the suspension of the burial of the late former President Ferdinand E. Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani (LNMB) pending finality of its decision issued a week ago.
The motions filed by Albay Rep. Edcel Lagman and former Bayan Muna Party-List Satur Ocampo are expected to be taken up Tuesday next week.
Sources said four justices were absent during yesterday’s full court session.
Lagman and Ocampo, in effect, wanted the SC to re-issue its status quo ante order (SQAO) against the burial at the LNMB pending the finality of its 9-5 ruling in favor of Marcos and holding the order of President Duterte.
An alternative plea, they asked the SC to advice the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) and the Department of National Defense, the agencies directed by the President to implement his order, to defer Marcos’ burial at the LNMB in Taguig City.
Official copies of the SC decision on the Marcos burial was released late last week. Under the rules, the petitioners have 15 days from receipt of their copies to file their motions for reconsideration.
Lagman and Ocampo said a halt order from the SC or an advise to the AFP and DND will not render moot and academic the motions for reconsiderations that would be filed against the decision. (Rey Panaligan)