Home » News » News Roundup » New Roundup » Regional » Zambo fire victims to get new homes

Zambo fire victims to get new homes

By ARGYLL GEDUCOS

President Duterte promised victims of the recent fire in Zamboanga City that he will build them new houses similar to those being built in Marawi City, Lanao del Sur.

During his visit to the fire victims in Barangay Labuan, Zamboanga City, Duterte assured that he will deliver the promise as soon as the government is able to identify a new relocation site.

According to the President, he will instruct housing czar Eduardo del Rosario to go to Zamboanga City to assess the situation and craft plan on how to rebuild the shelters for fire survivors.

At least 403 families in Barangay Labuan were affected by fire last July 22. The city’s fire bureau estimated the total damage to R4 million.

Duterte said that he will give each family R15,000 as financial assistance. This is in addition to the R5,000 from the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), R1,500 from the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR), and another R1,500 from the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).

The city government has so far provided food assistance and also put up a community kitchen for the fire survivors.
Aside from cash support, the DSWD also provided food assistance, which is good for one week.

Meanwhile in Barangay Bus-bus, Jolo, Sulu, Duterte vowed to give the local government up to four firetrucks within the month. He also said that the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) is eyeing on purchasing a helitanker for them.

The President added that he will look for fireboat to turnover to the local government.

Duterte also committed to give each affected families R15,000 by Monday. He instructed the PAGCOR and PCSO to work overtime so the financial assistance can be given to the fire victims by the said day.

He also instructed the DSWD to bring food for the affected victims by Monday. (Argyll Cyrus B. Geducos)

comments