By CARLO ANOLIN
Nonito Donaire has been training rigorously for his highly-touted rematch against Japanese rival Naoya Inoue but the “Filipino Flash” remained committed to his long-term goal of becoming the undisputed world boxing champion.
There is only one week left before the Donaire-Inoue II fires off on June 7 but the reigning World Boxing Council (WBC) bantamweight titlist is confident of achieving his biggest dream.
“Something I have been working to do, all my career, has been to become an undisputed world champion and you will see me with those belts,” said the 39-year-old Donaire in an interview with Probellum.
“It is not ‘if” I beat Inoue, it is ‘when’ I beat Inoue,” added the four-division world boxing, who holds a 42-6 win-loss record on top of 28 knockouts.
While the task seems herculean even for Donaire, taking on Inoue, 29, is just one of the steps on the “road to undisputed.”
Inoue had defended his three precious titles, namely the super World Boxing Association, International Boxing Federation, and The Ring, thrice since beating Donaire for the first time in November 2019, a bout that earned Fight of the Year honor.
The Japanese “Monster” remained unbeaten in 22 matches with 19 KOs.
Joining in the fray is recently crowned World Boxing Organization bantamweight champion Paul Butler, who scored a unanimous decision win against Filipino contender Jonas Sultan last April.
John Riel Casimero, who formerly held the WBO belt, was booted out of the picture due to numerous issues which ultimately cost him to lose the title.
“Paul Butler did an amazing job against Jonas Sultan, and I congratulate him on that win,” said Donaire.
In earlier reports, Butler had already expressed desire to take on either Donaire or Inoue